I have always been afraid of these bitter greens, so it made sense for them to be my first purchase in my February Grocery Challenge.
I had heard of them being used on salads and in smoothies, but I (personally) needed to break them down a bit and attempt to cut the bitterness.
I remembered making an arugula pesto a few years ago (another somewhat bitter green) and that was enough to get the wheels turning. Unlike that original arugula pesto, I wanted to steer clear of a ton of oil and the Parmesan cheese.
The result is, what I like to call, DANDY PESTO. It remains somewhat sharp so I recommend using it as a spread on your favorite whole grain bread or on a sandwich with some cool/fresh veggies and/or tomatoes.
- 1 cup (packed) Dandelion Greens
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I used the ones packed in oil but separated them from the oil — they add a “sweet” flavor. If you can only find them dried and not in oil, soak them in boiling water for 60 seconds to soften them. Then drain and let them cool. )
- 1/2 cup Cannellini Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 TBS water
- 1 TBS Flax (ground)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste (these greens are already peppery, so be sure to taste first!)
- hemp seeds (optional for dressing up an open faced sandwich 🙂 Can be a substitute for the traditional pine nuts in a pesto)
- Pulse clove of garlic until minced in food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Spread on favorite sandwich with cool/fresh veggies and/or tomatoes or serve open-face on favorite toasted whole grain bread as a snack or pairing with soup.
What’s so great about this?
- Dandelion Greens: 1 gram protein per 1-cup serving. High in calcium, iron, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, etc. I really could go on and on!
- Cannellini Beans: 17 grams protein per 1-cup serving.
- Flax Seeds: 1 TBS fulfills daily omega-3 fatty acids.
- Hemp Seeds: Boost your omega-3 fatty acids. Tasty on salads!
But if you dig on vegan food Well come over to my work I'll have them cook you Something that you'll really love.