Dandelion Greens. Eek!
I have always been afraid of these bitter greens, so it made sense for them to be my first purchase in my February Grocery Challenge.
I had heard of them being used on salads and in smoothies, but I (personally) needed to break them down a bit and attempt to cut the bitterness.
I remembered making an arugula pesto a few years ago (another somewhat bitter green) and that was enough to get the wheels turning. Unlike that original arugula pesto, I wanted to steer clear of a ton of oil and the Parmesan cheese.
The result is, what I like to call, DANDY PESTO. It remains somewhat sharp so I recommend using it as a spread on your favorite whole grain bread or on a sandwich with some cool/fresh veggies and/or tomatoes.
- 1 cup (packed) Dandelion Greens
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I used the ones packed in oil but separated them from the oil — they add a “sweet” flavor. If you can only find them dried and not in oil, soak them in boiling water for 60 seconds to soften them. Then drain and let them cool. )
- 1/2 cup Cannellini Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 TBS water
- 1 TBS Flax (ground)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste (these greens are already peppery, so be sure to taste first!)
- hemp seeds (optional for dressing up an open faced sandwich 🙂 Can be a substitute for the traditional pine nuts in a pesto)
- Pulse clove of garlic until minced in food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Spread on favorite sandwich with cool/fresh veggies and/or tomatoes or serve open-face on favorite toasted whole grain bread as a snack or pairing with soup.
What’s so great about this?
- Dandelion Greens: 1 gram protein per 1-cup serving. High in calcium, iron, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, etc. I really could go on and on!
- Cannellini Beans: 17 grams protein per 1-cup serving.
- Flax Seeds: 1 TBS fulfills daily omega-3 fatty acids.
- Hemp Seeds: Boost your omega-3 fatty acids. Tasty on salads!
Well, isn’t that DANDY? Click if you agree!
But if you dig on vegan food Well come over to my work I'll have them cook you Something that you'll really love.