The second ingredient purchase of my February Grocery Challenge was…Millet [MILL-et]!
- Whole grain!
- 6 grams protein per 1-cup cooked serving!!!
- Can transition from breakfast to dinner!!!!
“You’re joking me.”
This being my first experience with Millet, I thought, “let’s start at the very beginning a very good place to start” with our first meal of the day: Breakfast. Thus, the Millet “Churro” Bowl was born!
The critics (Ian) rave,
Mmm, this tastes like a Churro Bowl!
Millet “Churro” Bowl:
- 1/3 cup Millet
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (essential for the “churro” claim)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch o’salt
- 1 Tablespoon raisins (plus more for heart shape topping)
- 1 Tablespoon Goji berries (plus more for topping. If you don’t have or can’t find Goji berries, don’t fret, just add more raisins or other dried fruit you love!)
- Maple syrup or other sweetener (honey, agave are other great options)
- sliced almonds, shredded coconut, etc. as additional (optional) toppings.
- Place all ingredients (except for maple syrup and extra toppings) in a pot. Bring to a boil (caution: keep an eye on it — mine boiled over!)
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. If it is still liquidy, let simmer for a few extra minutes.
- Top with a drizzle of maple syrup and any additional toppings you crave.
Don’t you think this would make a fantastic breakfast in bed for that special someone this valentines day? I “churro” do!
(psst! Did you click the link? I hope it made you smile 🙂 )