(Quick apology to those of you who received an incomplete blog post email notification — my cat stepped on the computer and somehow managed to publish my post before it was finished. Thank you for your patience and understanding. My cat apologizes too (meow). )
It’s cold. Let’s warm up. What do you say? We need a heatwave!
This Coconut Curry and Red Lentil Stew will leave you feeling warm and full! It is packed with veggies, so it is also guilt-free!
Two of the main ingredients in this coconut curry and red lentil stew are part of my February Grocery Challenge which is quickly about to come to an end! I have purchased many new ingredients that I otherwise would have continued to look over. I encourage you to try this challenge for yourself and let me know what you buy and how you use it!
Red Lentil FUN facts
- 18 grams protein per 1-cup serving (boiled)
- High in fiber
- helps reduce cholesterol
- assists in healthy digestion
- Magnesium and Iron
- Heart Health and Energy!
- quick cooking time (10-30 min)
- 1:2 ratio (1 cup lentils to 2 cups water)
- They soften a lot and can have a creamy texture
- Unlike other legumes, they don’t require pre-soaking
I’m not sure why I never bought curry powder before, but I am sure glad I did! I have a feeling I am going to be on the lookout for ways to incorporate this spice a lot more frequently! I used it in the stew as well as on the roasted cauliflower. Ian snacked on the leftover curry-spiced cauliflower after dinner saying,
It’s like snacking on french fries
Coconut Curry and Red Lentil Stew:
The ingredient list may seem long, but it’s SO worth it!
- Short grain brown rice
- 1 TBS Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 1 TBS-1.5 TBS Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger minced or grated (I used one generous tsp)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar of choice
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- about 7 cups water
- 1 can light coconut milk (I used 13.5 oz)
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Cauliflower (optional)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees (if roasting cauliflower)
- Start cooking the brown rice according to package directions.
- Toss cauliflower with a small amount of olive oil. Toss with curry powder, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder and sprinkle with salt. Once preheated, roast for 30 min or until cauliflower is soft.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 TBS oil in large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add curry powder and cinnamon and stir
- Add chopped onion and cook for 3 min, or until onion starts to soften
- Add carrot, pepper, ginger, garlic, salt, and sugar and cook until veggies start to soften (just a few minutes)
- Add tomato paste, water, coconut milk, peas, lentils, garbanzo beans and bring the pot to a simmer.
- While cooking, sprinkle with red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Cook until lentils soften (about 20-30 min)
- Serve with roasted cauliflower, brown rice, and cilantro for garnish (optional)
Enjoy! Let me know how you like it!
Thanks for being a friend,